Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Real Fine Place to Start

I had imagined the outcome of my first sewing project would be something I’d never want to see again. Something that would make a bad gift. Something I’d only keep for sentimental reasons and later find in a rag drawer.

But I got lucky.

I have an Aunt who is not only one of the nicest women I know, but also an excellent seamstress. Last time she visited, I brought out some fabric I bought at Stitch Lab in Austin - a Japanese print both bizarre and precious. “Someday I’m gonna make a pillow with it,” I told her dreamily. In my mind, I had to perfect my stitches, gain a thorough understanding of fabrics and find the right pattern before I could even begin. She had a different plan in mind.

On a beautiful 1968 Singer my grandfather bought her, we began our project without a pattern or any practice. The machine was cream and gold and, being built into a table, extremely steady. My dad claims he learned to sew on the same machine and could easily make the same pillow. I’ll believe when I see it. (My dad is burly farmer whose fingers are usually covered in dirt and grease.)


I’m a perfectionist to the point that I never finish anything, but any time I cried “I messed up!” and wanted to start over, my aunt was quick to chirp,“It’s fine!” And it was. We had to break out the seam rippers a few times but the outcome was two fabulous and quirky throw pillows with homemade piping and cool fabrics. 

My aunt’s confidence had inspired me. I learned that I need to let go of my notions of learning. Especially when I have opportunity to follow after an excellent teacher. I had secretly been hoping my aunt would make the pillows for me - since I liked the fabric so much and wanted to put it to good use. But I’m glad she wouldn’t allow that. I learned basic construction, how to make piping and even how to use a serger. And from the inside out, my pillows looked professional. 

This is a first project I’m not only keeping for sentimental reasons, but for aesthetic as well. I’m even giving one as a gift!

3 comments:

  1. I love the print you picked out....and this is only the beginning.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you Kaitlyn. You're a natural and you inspire me to do more sewing! Looking forward to going to Quiltcon.

    ReplyDelete