Thursday, February 26, 2015

I Didn’t Go to QuiltCon for the Quilts

Texas weather sure keeps me on my toes. I LIE - I’m always falling behind! I write to you happily stranded inside my Aunt Annette’s house in New Braunfels. If you remember, she’s the woman teaching me to sew and, after a dizzying day at QuiltCon (you can imagine the barrage of fabrics), being limited to my conference swag and a Vanderpump marathon is a treat. 

I never had an interest in quilting; I thought it was a generational hobby that was actively dying out. I was wrong. Although I was one of the youngest women at the conference (this is a definitely a girl thing), I noticed a small wave of younger women and modern influences trickling in. The minimalist approaches really turned me on to the craft. They forced me to realize that it's the embroidery that makes some quilts incredible, not the fabrics. (And that it's not just stitching squares together.) Notice the details in these:


     

       

I was also drawn to quilts with more obvious content:



I was hoping to find more than these darn blankets at QuiltCon and I did! Here are some other cool things I discovered at the conference that I will be writing more on soon:

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing these images. they're beautiful art pieces.

    ReplyDelete